Saturday 20 December 2008

Drawing Bush

It feels much easier being me. I sit here and simply write what comes to mind. Little imagination required. No attempt to be more interesting than I am.

I’m off the back of a marathon sleep. I was out for something like eleven hours last night. I’ve always been a good sleeper but usually restrict myself to seven or eight. But whenever I hit my Manchester days, it breaks whatever work and sleep pattern I’ll have established in the previous five days. I drag myself by my ears from my bed at six o’clock, on the train for seven, and I’m in the office and working for eight or eight thirty. The day is fixed. I have to work eight hours and, like most people in the office, I choose to work them in a solid block, eating lunch at my desk and with only a couple of ‘bathroom’ breaks. By four thirty, I’m usually a mental and physical mess but happy to heading home. The nights aren’t much of anything. I’m paid for eight hours but they’re really taking eighteen. I travel, work, travel, doze in front of the TV, and then I sleep. A rush of energy on Thursday was the exception to the rule. I managed to write a few posts. My ‘Coming Clean’ piece was the product of peanut butter, which I’ve been told is good for energy. I think it was the relief of confession that drove me on but last night, I was unable to function.

Today I’ve been unable to write. I spent this afternoon trying my hand at drawing a political cartoon. I’d had the above joke in my head for over a week but hadn’t had time to draw it. Unlike my more surreal jokes, scribbling political figures requires far more time and effort. I finished today’s picture (don’t ask how long it took) and sent it to my sister who immediately pointed out that my George W. Bush looks remarkably like Donald Rumsfeld. She had a point. I went back and added a slightly more prominent lip, smaller ears. I think it is enough for the joke to work. I posted it over at The Spine, just to keep that site going.

Caricatures don’t interest me all that much. I see them as a necessary evil when making a joke about a public figure. That was always the pleasure of writing The Spine regularly. I could use photographs to make my point. The down side to the site was that I could never sell my gags to newspapers because I would have to account for every element of a picture. The copyright laws just don’t make any allowances for new forms of cartooning involving Photoshop. The other problem was that any joke was always constrained by the availability of a picture. I would often resort to taking photographs of my own elbows, hands, and knees, just to fill in a gap. Sketching allows me to get closer to my ideas, though I face a different difficulty drawing recognisable caricatures.

I try not to be influenced by the way real illustrators draw their victims. I had to deliberately avoid Gerald Scarfe’s method of drawing the simian-like Bush, big ears and huge baboon maw. His caricatures are some of the best in terms of taking a hard swipe at a figure. He’s more in the tradition of the great seventeenth century artists and, naturally, I think of Hogarth. Scarfe’s figures regularly display their genitals or are to be found facing us arseways, sphincter compressed. As much as I admire his work, I don't think he's chasing outright laughs. They more scatology than wit, more outrage than punchline. He’s not, as far as I can see, a humourist who cares about the laugh. He's probably greater than that.

Thinking about all this reminds me of my local shopping centre where a lad runs a stall where he draws caricatures of customers. I always glance over and see what he’s doing. He clearly has a skill for it but, for me, it’s too close that that episode of The Simpsons (doesn’t everything remind us of episodes from The Simpsons?) where Lisa is allowing herself to be drawn by the local caricaturist. If I remember it correctly, the artist simply sticks her in a car and exaggerates one feature (her hair). It’s implied that this is exactly what he does with every subject.

Could mutter on some more but my laptop battery has dropped below 10%...

4 comments:

Brit said...

Re: Scarfe, I used to like his work for Pink Floyd's The Wall, but have you tried watching that film lately (ie. not as an adolescent)?

It's a complete train wreck. It fails for the same reason that most of Terry Gilliam's films fail: too relentless, no light and shade.

David said...

I've never seen The Wall all the way through (I'm relatively new to Floyd) but I had a sense that it would have been bad. These projects usually are, though I remember being haunted by Scarfe's headmaster figure.

Gilliam, however, is different. I could write pages about his films. Even is messes are interesting. I was wondering the other day why he makes films that are so shambolick yet watchable. I haven't thought of it in terms of light and shade. My feeling is that his films reveal a rather scattergun side to his nature. He's hugely inventive in the moment but lacks the drive that keeps a narrative arc together. He's constantly in a state of excitement and probably works best when limited by some external force such as a script. That said, Brazil and The Time Bandits are two of my favourites, along with Fear and Loathing, which I think is his best. The last one I saw was his Brothers Grimm, which was a disappointment. The documentary on his Quixote project is excellent. Hard not to like and admire such an outcast who can work within the mainstream.

Don said...

I'm also a big Gilliam fan, and I'd add The Adventures of Baron Munchausen to that list too. Grimm was a disappointment to me only in comparison with his usual stuff, but I still think beats most contemporary offerings.

Oh, and I really like the Bush cartoon - brilliant gag!

David said...

Thanks Don. I was very proud of this one, despite the Bush/Rumsfeld problem.

I love Munchhausen. Then Uma appears out of that shell... One of my favourite moments of all cinema. Shame it goes 'odd' at the end. Sort of wish that he could go back and finish it. It's 3/4 of a really great film. Love 12 Monkeys too. In fact, there's very little of his work that I haven't enjoyed. Even when he misses, he misses in an interesting way.