Tuesday 6 January 2009

[Expletive Deleted]

It's like my main PC knew I was feeling moody because I'm back in work tomorrow. Why else would it choose tonight to lose/corrupt/destroy its own hard drives?

I did a virus scan tonight and it detected some threat which it immediately deleted. It then asked me if I want to reboot, which I did, and then it tells me that there’s no system disk. Hate to think of all the work I’ve lost. And before anybody says it, I know I should back work up. And I do. Just no so regular as to make this really painful.

When I bought the machine, it was already set up to use the two 250Gb drives in a Raid0 array, which means that it put the two drives together to create a single drive that was just under 500Gb in size. This array has now disappeared, along with... I don’t want to think about it. Writing, cartoons(!), emails and email addresses... I knew over twelve months ago that I should have reconfigured it to use drive mirroring. Now it’s come back to bite me. Hard.

I don’t suppose anybody has any ideas on how to recover that data? Or am I lost? To make matters worse, I won't be able to do a thing about this until Friday. I have a feeling that things are going to be really quiet around here for the next week.

No comments: